Forums

New version of MonoDevelop addin

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Re: New version of MonoDevelop addin

Postby nerdzero » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:27 pm

That makes sense. Would that mean that there might be some variables missing or does that optimization happen later when the IL gets compiled?
nerdzero

Postby torial » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:35 pm

IL is effectively the compilation (ie it is what happens when you click Build or Compile). Then you have (for most .Net) the JIT which does run-time compilation to the particular target platform. There may be some optimizations the c# compiler will do ahead of time, but I think most of the work is done by the JIT.

(Btw, was the autocomplete logic of any value to you, or were you pretty much already past that point).
torial

Postby nerdzero » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Interesting. Wrote a quick program that only does assignments, looked at the decompiled C# and the variables didn't show up. Added a print statement and they showed up, even the ones that weren't necessary. Guess that makes sense as it would depend on the platform when certain optimizations could be made.

The autocomplete logic was simliar to the one I had developed before. Unfortunately, I'll have to use a different approach for providing completion when the source has yet to be compiled. I'm planning on wrapping the Cobra syntax nodes using a decorator that also implements the requisite typesystem interfaces from the NRefactory library. Yeah, I barely understand that last sentence I just wrote :) I'm starting on this probably next week but it will take me a while to finish.

Oh, what was really useful was your comment about creating folds starting from the bottom of the source instead from the top. It really did simplify a lot of issues and require a lot less code so thanks for that.
nerdzero

Previous

Return to Discussion