Forums

Please test Cobra 0.9

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Please test Cobra 0.9

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 am

Cobra 0.9 has been released. There is a package for Unix-family (Mac, Linux, etc) and one of Windows.

Please report both success and failures on this thread. I need to get some testing results before I can widely announce this.

Also, you'll notice that these are source-based releases that make use of the "install-from-workspace" script. I consider myself on the hook for core compiler work, patch applications, forum support and source releases. But regarding packaging such as a Windows installer, a Debian package, a Mac installer, etc. that will have to come from the community.

Thanks to everyone who contributed through patches, bug reports, help with the web site, satellite projects like MonoDevelop, etc. I plan on renaming the "Credits" page to "Influences" since that page mostly discusses the languages that influence Cobra, and making a new "Credits" page to cover contributors. (I just can't get to everything at once.)

Don't forget I need testing feedback, whether good or bad. Please include the output of "cobra -version" like so:
Code: Select all
$ cobra -version
Cobra 0.9.0 on Mono 2.10.9 CLR v4.0.30319 on Mac OS X 10.6.8
Charles

Re: Please test Cobra 0.9

Postby DelphiGuy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:52 am

without d/l'ing anything, i simply installed from source using the command line as usual, but ended up (under Win 7) with "0.8.0 post release" version. did this somewhere around wed 10am EST.

must i d/l the entire 0.9 package and install from that?
DelphiGuy

Postby nerdzero » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 am

Woohoo! Will test tonight and report back the results.
nerdzero

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:47 am

DelphiGuy wrote:without d/l'ing anything, i simply installed from source using the command line as usual, but ended up (under Win 7) with "0.8.0 post release" version. did this somewhere around wed 10am EST.

must i d/l the entire 0.9 package and install from that?

Well it's the 0.9 packages (.zip for Windows and .tar.gz for others) that I'm looking for test results on. So yes, to test one of those you would have to download it, unzip it, review the ReadMe.text file and go from there.

Btw if your svn-based install still says 0.8, you probably need an update, because I did update it to say "0.9":
http://cobra-language.com/trac/cobra/changeset/2804
Charles

Postby DelphiGuy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:31 am

Charles:

According to my friends, I'm losing it. But despite the popular vote to the contrary, I continue to believe that only a few minutes ago I again did a "svn" style update from the command prompt, as I have done many times, and "cobra -version" still spit out 0.8.0. Yes, I examined the link you provided proving that you indeed changed the version number. Go figure.

In any case, I renamed all of my current Cobra folders to backup type names. Then I d/l'ed your new Win package for ver 9, and followed the directions, which were admirably horsey and duckey in their simplicity and the whole thing magically installed. And happily compiles a "Hello World" program.

So congratulations! And as always, thank you.

On the MD IDE side of the news, I've become the Win 7 guinea pig for nerdzero's patient directions on how to paste together a working MD/Cobra IDE debugger, and despite a little bumbling on my part, we're almost there. Last night, after much ado back and forth, we got the add-in to successfully build on my machine.
DelphiGuy

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks for testing and reporting back.

I appreciate the work you and nerdzero are doing re: IDE support on Win 7 64-bit. Unfortunately, the whole the 64-bit/32-bit thing can be a pain.
Charles

Postby DelphiGuy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Hey, thanks but I'm just the beta-tester, a barnacle attached to nerdzero's ship.

It's nerdzero who deserves to have his name changed to "nerdten", or "coolzero". And when the whole thing is finished and installs simply and reliably like your current version 9, he'll have to be renamed to "coolten".
DelphiGuy

Postby torial » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:27 pm

On Windows 2008, I attempted to do the install-from-workspace w/ an admin-privilege command line and it failed around the deletion of the C:\Cobra\Cobra-0.9.0 folder.

This is problematic because I had the code at that location, and wouldn't be surprised if the unauthorized access exception was from trying to delete a folder that was in use.

==== Copy files to install directory

found dir: C:\Cobra
del dir : C:\Cobra\Cobra-0.9.0

Unhandled Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'Ins
tallFromWorkspace.exe' is denied.
at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean
recursive)
at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recur
sive)
at InstallFromWorkspace.DeleteDir(String dir)
at InstallFromWorkspace.CopyFilesToInstallDirectory()
at InstallFromWorkspace.Run()
at InstallFromWorkspace.Main()
The batch file cannot be found.
torial

Postby nerdzero » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Tested on Windows 7 64-bit using the '-x86' installer option via an svn update and and also tested a fresh install by deleting my existing install and using the tarball from the website on Ubuntu 12.04. No permissions issues on Ubuntu this time. Everything worked great but I noticed that Cobra.Compiler gets installed to the GAC as version 0.0 while Cobra.Core got installed as 0.9. Not sure if that matters.

DelphiGuy wrote:Hey, thanks but I'm just the beta-tester, a barnacle attached to nerdzero's ship.

Hey, we're all just sailing in the wake of Cobra Commander :)

Congrats on 0.9, Charles.

Code: Select all
Cobra svn:2804 (post 0.9) / 2012-09-26 on .NET CLR v4.0.30319 on Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

Cobra 0.9.0 on Mono 2.10.8.1 CLR v4.0.30319 on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
nerdzero

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:10 pm

@torial, That's an interesting one! I hadn't anticipated that people would put the files in C:\Cobra\Cobra-0.9.0 to begin with. We can enhance the installer to detect that.

@nerdzero, We'll call the Cobra.Compiler.dll version a minor bug which can wait for the inevitable 0.9.1. Thanks for reporting it.
Charles

Next

Return to Discussion