Forums

I cant install cobra

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

I cant install cobra

Postby yyooist » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:10 am

I did launch a command prompt as an administrator.
4QT1ME0S5W)9~1Z%~51%[7T.jpg
pic
4QT1ME0S5W)9~1Z%~51%[7T.jpg (35.41 KiB) Viewed 8927 times
yyooist

Re: I cant install cobra

Postby Charles » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:54 am

I haven't seen this before. The contents of the install batch file are:
Code: Select all
@cls
@echo.
@echo Compiling installation program...
@Snapshot\cobra.exe -debug -ert:yes InstallFromWorkspace.cobra SubversionUtils.cobra -- %*
@cd ..\..

Only the line starting with "@Snapshot\cobra.exe ..." is truly essential.

Can you show us the output of "dir" and also "dir Snapshot"?

If you install on C: drive, does the problem go away?

Can you pass "-v:2" to the command? Like:
bin\install-from-workspace -v:2

Also, instead of a graphic screenshot, please copy the text instead and paste it in your message. Instructions for how to do this are at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... nd-prompt/
Charles

Postby yyooist » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:02 pm

The problem has been solved.thanks.
yyooist

Postby vazub » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:29 am

I had this problem as well. It seems that there is "cd .." command missing before the main statement. Inserting it in a batch file fixes the problem. Should look like this:

@cls
@echo.
@echo Compiling installation program...
@cd ..
@Snapshot\cobra.exe -debug -ert:yes InstallFromWorkspace.cobra SubversionUtils.cobra -- %*
@cd ..\..

On the other hand, I am a bit puzzled with the last statement - "@cd ..\..". What is it intended to do? Simply get to the root folder when the setup finishes?
vazub

Postby Charles » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:01 pm

-- The ReadMe.text says to enter:
cd CobraWorkspace\Source
bin\install-from-workspace

So the "cd .." would not work. However, if anyone wants to submit .bat/.cmd code that would detect when the person cd's into the bin directory and adjusts accordingly, I'd be happy to incorporate it.

-- Yes the "cd ..\.." gets you out of the installation directory. Without this, some people got confused thinking that they were supposed to be in there and doing something with the package files.
Charles

Postby vazub » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:33 am

Charles wrote:-- The ReadMe.text says to enter:
cd CobraWorkspace\Source
bin\install-from-workspace

So the "cd .." would not work.

Perhaps, those instructions were a bit misleading for some CLI-savvy people in the first place ;) At least for me, it would seem more logical to traverse the folder tree to the final destination and then execute a command from within there, like this:
cd CobraWorkspace\Source\bin
install-from-workspace

And that's exactly how I did it (prior to checking the readme.txt), resulting in an aforementioned installation fail. And I was not alone, as we can see.
Perhaps it would make things less confusing to simply modify the instructions in the readme and add "@cd .." line, instead of thinking out some complex checking logic in a .bat file to cover all the possible innacurate use cases? Just my five cents.
vazub

Postby Charles » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:03 am

I understand where you are coming from, but the script should be robust such that it doesn't matter where you start. We already have that for the bash scripts. Turns out it's this easy for Windows batch files:
@cd %~dp0

Now fixed.

Thanks for the feedback.
Charles

Return to Discussion