Forums

Cobra and .NET 4.5

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Cobra and .NET 4.5

Postby pchapin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:40 pm

I recently (yesterday) installed Visual Studio 2012 on my system (Windows 7, 64 bit). I noticed during the installation of VS2012 it said something about installing .NET v4.5. Cool.

Today I updated my working copy of Cobra's Subversion and tried doing an "install from workspace." I've done this many times before. I usually do it as Administrator because in the past there have been some issues if I tried doing it under my ordinary account. Anyway, I got this message:

Code: Select all
==== Install Cobra.Core library to the GAC

** ERROR: Cannot locate a gacutil. Maybe you can try again using the "Visual Studio Command Prompt
" or ".NET SDK Command Prompt".
You may need to install the Windows SDK from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?
id=8279 (~0.5MB)
Need help with the above error?
 * Make sure you ran as a Windows Administrator.
 * Install .NET or a Visual Studio product if you have not before.
 * Review http://cobra-language.com/troubleshooting
 * Ask at http://cobra-language.com/discuss
 * Ask at http://cobra-language.com/irc

So I'm thinking the installation process doesn't know what to make of my brave new world of VS2012 + .NET 4.5 (also Windows SDK 8). I haven't tried installing in a "Visual Studio Command Prompt" window because I'm not sure if Cobra should actually be expected to work in this case. If I open such a window gacutil is there so presumably it would do something useful.

Any word on how likely it would be for the install to work as it should?

Thanks!
pchapin

Re: Cobra and .NET 4.5

Postby Charles » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Can you tell us where the gacutil.exe and csc.exe are for .NET 4.5?
Charles

Postby pchapin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm

On my system...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\csc.exe

Hope that helps!
pchapin

Postby Charles » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Are you sure? Both paths contain "4.0" instead of "4.5". Maybe 4.5 is another of those releases where the VM is the same. I haven't checked.
Charles

Postby pchapin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:41 am

Yes those are the paths I have. For example in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework I have subfolders named

v1.0.3705
v1.1.4322
v2.0.50727
v3.0
v3.5
v4.0.30319

and no others with that form.

In C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows I have subfolders named

v7.0A
v8.0
v8.0A

and no others.

I should probably also mention that I previously had Visual Studio 2010 installed on this system.
pchapin

Postby Charles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:18 pm

Microsoft's .NET Framework Versions and Dependencies indicates that .NET 4.5 does in fact include a new CLR. So I think we have to find out where it lives.
Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:28 pm

From that same page:

The .NET Framework 4.5 is an in-place update that replaces the .NET Framework 4 on your computer. After you install this update, your .NET Framework 4 apps should continue to run without requiring recompilation. However, some changes in the .NET Framework may require changes to your app code. For more information, see App Compatibility in the .NET Framework 4.5 before you run your existing apps in the .NET Framework 4.5. For more information about installing the current version, see Installing the .NET Framework 4.5. For information about support for the .NET Framework, see Microsoft .NET Framework Support Lifecycle Policy on the Microsoft Support website.

That seems pretty messed up to replace 4 in-place while simultaneously breaking compatibility. Not sure why they just didn't carve out another directory/version separate from 4? I'm sure we'll find some discussion on this.
Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Well in any case it should work now: changeset:2807
Charles

Postby torial » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:59 pm

That seems very bizarre that they didn't carve out a separate directory but can have compatibility issues. Seems like MS has been losing sight of the ball the last few years. :-/
torial

Postby Charles » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:46 am

@pchapin, let me know if the change works for you. I think I'll cut an 0.9.1 for Windows.
Charles

Next

Return to Discussion