Forums

[Suggestion] Migrate to github

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

[Suggestion] Migrate to github

Postby Nefarel » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:04 am

Personally I use git for revision control and I think it is better then svn. D language gained a lot more contributions since they went to github. I'm not saying the same will happen with cobra(although i hope so!), but it will definitely facilitate work on this project for many people and might encourage new ones.
Nefarel

Re: [Suggestion] Migrate to github

Postby Charles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for your interest in Cobra. Changing Cobra's hosting is not a priority for me right now. But consider the following:

We need the most help with:

-- Visual Studio support
-- MonoDevelop support
-- Wiki docs

Both IDE support code bases are on github. There are other Cobra projects on either github or bitbucket. So your preference is covered in these cases. :)

Regarding D, it has its own stand-alone standard library and probably needs more frequent contribs because of that. Cobra leverages .NET and JVM for most of its std lib, leaving a small amount of additional classes plus the compiler.
Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:34 pm

And while we're mentioning things that need help:

-- Koans, also hosted separately
-- JVM back-end -- okay this one is hosted here

Also see HelpWanted.
Charles

Postby kobi7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:16 am

hello Nefarel

I agree about git being a most welcomed addition to the development world.
In my previous job, we lost quite some hours on svn problems, with actions as simple as adding a folder, resulting in weird conflicts.

I now found this page:
http://maymay.net/blog/2008/03/26/howto ... on-part-1/

If I knew that at the time, or even thought of searching for it, my working environment (and development speed) would have been much happier there. (8 ppl working on the same solution with a few remote freelance hires with fifty-some projects and horrible compile-times... ppl just refrained from committing, and any one who didn't keep a backup had a hard time to revert)
Falun Dafa is Good.
Truth, Compassion, Forbearance is Good.
kobi7

Postby gourD » Tue May 28, 2013 9:40 am

kobi7 wrote:I agree about git being a most welcomed addition to the development world.

+1 for using Git...I was resisting for quite some time considering I jumped to DVCS in the very beginning with Darcs.

Then used and/or tried bazaar, mercurial, monotone, fossil and finally seeing the inevitable settled on Git. :lol:
gourD

Return to Discussion