Forums

odd failure in test block

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

odd failure in test block

Postby khjklujn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:54 pm

I think this one might be more of a C# thing than something with cobra, but it's too subtle for my C# skills, so I'm hoping somebody else can explain it to me.

The following code fails to compile on both windows and mono:
interface IVAlign
get value as dynamic?

class VAlign
implements IVAlign
shared
get top as IVAlign
return VAlign('top')

var _value as dynamic?

get value from var

def init(value as String)
_value = value

class Bob
var _vAlign as IVAlign?

pro vAlign from var

test
t = Bob()
t.vAlign = VAlign.top
assert t.vAlign.value == 'top'

class Program
shared
def main
t = Bob()
t.vAlign = VAlign.top
assert t.vAlign.value == 'top'

Specifically, it doesn't like the static method that is being generated for the test. Remove the test block, and it's happy. Alternatively, use VAlign as the types for VAlign.top and _vAlign instead of IVAlign, and it's happy. Finally, rename vAlign to anything else, and it's happy.

Not that this is something that's too terribly difficult to work around, but I do find it puzzling.
khjklujn

Re: odd failure in test block

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:14 pm

This is kind of a C# thing, but it's addressable.

So the offending C# generated code is:
Code: Select all
      t.VAlign=(VAlign.Top);

And the problem is that when C# sees "VAlign" on the right, it sees it as the property "this.VAlign" instead of the global type "VAlign". Recall that under the hood, Cobra capitalizes members to make your Cobra DLLs comfortably consumable by C# programmers.

I changed the code like so:
Code: Select all
      t.VAlign=(global::VAlign.Top);

And reissued the C# compilation command which I copied from the output of "cobra -v:2 ..." -- it works.

So I suppose Cobra must generate that "global::" whenever a stand-alone identifier or left hand component of "foo.bar" has the same name as a capped member. Or just put the global:: in always.
Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:14 pm

Fixed.

Btw you made a good point about how it works when changing the type of the var/property. I don't even know why that's the case.

I added in the qualification to the type and locked it down with a couple test cases (one where everything is in the global/unnamed namespace and another where everything is in an explicit namespace).

Thanks for the report.
Charles

Postby khjklujn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:52 am

Cool. Thanks. Saves me from having to refactor my tests.
khjklujn

Return to Discussion