Forums

Installing Cobra 0.96

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Installing Cobra 0.96

Postby ThatGuy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Hello, I decided to start exploring other languages recently and Cobra caught my eye. So I downloaded it and ran bin\install-from-workspace and I keep getting this error
==== Clean up workspace

==== Install "cobra" into a system path directory

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)

at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)
at InstallFromWorkspace.InstallInPath() in c:\Users\<myName>\Documents\Cobra\Source\InstallFromWorkspace.cobra:line 1017
at InstallFromWorkspace.Run() in c:\Users\<myName>\Documents\Cobra\Source\InstallFromWorkspace.cobra:line 174
at InstallFromWorkspace.Main() in c:\Users\<myName>\Documents\Cobra\Source\InstallFromWorkspace.cobra:line 129

Any ideas? I am running windows 7 with VS Express 2013 installed and I did use the admin command prompt
ThatGuy

Re: Installing Cobra 0.96

Postby ptokremin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:12 pm

Hello,

since I'm new to this as well, I can only tell you what worked for me...

Did you download the release or did you try to build Cobra from source? I believe the "install from work space" is meant to be used with the second alternative. Be sure the run the "visual studio command prompt" with admin rights when you try it. And that you have .NET 4.5 installed.

Btw you can use Xamarin Studio (MonoDelelop) to check out the Cobra sources from the SVN repository without having to install a svn client (maybe this works with VS2013 as well).

You do not have to install the compiler if you want to run it from the command line and use a text editor.
In this case you might -depending on your code - have to copy the CobraCore.dll to you application directory or use the -copy-core compiler switch.

good luck!
ptokremin

PS: In case you're wondering I use Xamarin Studio with Cobra build from sources on a Win7/.Net client with VS2010 and the SDK v6.0 (was that .NET 2.0??) installed. The installation did not completely finish but it works anyway.
ptokremin

Re: Installing Cobra 0.96

Postby ThatGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:53 am

Thank you for your reply. Turns out that Cobra did install, it was just not put on the PATH. I probably would not have figured this out without you.
ThatGuy

Return to Discussion