Forums

Microsoft Roslyn .Net open source compiler

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Microsoft Roslyn .Net open source compiler

Postby MaximC » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Hello every one,

I'm just curious and wanted to see what you guys think the new Microsoft Roslyn .Net open source compiler will mean for the future of Cobra. Do you guys think it will mean more portability for Cobra in a near future? How will it influence the source code of Cobra itself?

I would be very interested to hear Charles and the main devs on this one. Just talking and bouncing ideas kind of topic. I was waiting to read some sort of official topic but since no one posted about it I decided to just go ahead.
MaximC

Re: Microsoft Roslyn .Net open source compiler

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:06 am

It's been in the back of my mind, but I haven't checked it out yet. There would likely be advantages to using it. I don't know what the disadvantages would be at this point.

But on the other hand, there are some things I would do differently than .NET including multiple inheritance, structural interfaces and more. Using Roslyn won't provide any of that afaik.

In any case, I'm pretty booked for the next few weeks.
Charles

Postby MaximC » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:55 pm

I was thinking if Cobra compiles to C# we could expect Cobra to run on Mac OS and Linux without Mono eventually? We could also possibly use latest .Net as well on those platform.
MaximC

Postby Charles » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Mono already has a tool to reduce a program down to a precompiled executable with all libraries baked in. So your end users don't need to install Mono.

Or perhaps you meant that people could use .NET Core in place of Mono.

Or perhaps you meant "C" or "C++" instead of "C#"?

Feel free to clarify.
Charles

Postby MaximC » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Charles wrote:Mono already has a tool to reduce a program down to a precompiled executable with all libraries baked in. So your end users don't need to install Mono.

What I meant is that the devs wouldn't have to be using Mono themselves in their code. From what I understand Mono is always lagging a bit behind .Net and usually don't support all the feature either.
MaximC

Return to Discussion