Forums

Prompt class (please give your opinion)

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Re: Prompt class (please give your opinion)

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm aware of the type inference issue on ref, but I suppose it could use an official ticket. ticket:138

Didn't know about the variable naming problem. ticket:139
Charles

Re: Prompt class (please give your opinion)

Postby hopscc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:31 am

Reopening discussion/opinion on Prompt class:

This looks like a great prompt class implementation/framework covering all the possibilities anyone may want to do or extensible for everything anyone may want to do

My opinion FWIW is that its also overkill for the base language being
(implementationally and conceptually) large - additionally padding the RTL( for perhaps a smallish value of large ;) ) ,
complicated to explain, document and/or
requires a tutorial (as you've done) or several to make it intelligible..

I'd suggest providing this prompt class (or all features of same) as an addable/downloadable (i.e optional) library class layered on a simpler
language provided (cobra runtime embedded) base construct that
optionally displays a (string) prompt and returns a (single or multichar) string from (by default) the standard input stream, throwing an exception only on EOF..
- This for me would cover 90% of the uses I'd want it for, is simple and easily explainable/documented....

Leave all of type conversion, input verification/validation/formatting to be user rolled or to the addon/augmentation library that I can use/pay for if I want it but dont
incur the overhead (coding/implementation/rtl/grokking) if I dont....
hopscc

Previous

Return to Discussion