Forums

Informal Releases

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Re: Informal Releases

Postby jonathandavid » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:18 am

Chuck wrote:Then drop this modified InstallFromWorkspace.cobra over the old one and try again.

Let me know how it goes.

It works now!

How come there is no apparent consequence from all the lines you had to comment out?
jonathandavid

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:48 am

The old code rummages through your hard drive looking for a gacutil.exe that it can run. This is what worked for you. But it doesn't always work for others because the hard drive rummaging can fail to find gacutil.exe.

The new code uses a .NET library to install Cobra.Lang.dll to the GAC. This works for me and many others, so I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. And I'm not sure if we can catch the error or not. I'll give it a fresh look later.
Charles

Postby jonathandavid » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:13 am

In case it helps, the following are all installed in my PC:

MS VS .NET 2003

MS .NET Framework SDK v2.0

Microsoft Visual C++/C# 2008 Express Edition
jonathandavid

Postby Charles » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks. I need to know if you get the error during compilation or running. Please enter these commands inside the Source\ directory:
Code: Select all
Snapshot\cobra.exe -c -debug -ert:yes InstallFromWorkspace.cobra
InstallFromWorkspace.exe

Note the "-c" on the first line. Do you get the module/HRESULT error on the first line when compiling or on the second line when running?

Thanks.
Charles

Postby Caligari » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm sure you realize that the destination directory is hard-coded into InstallFromWorkspace.cobra, but I thought it worth reminding you about it. I don't have a C: (long story). It was, of course, pretty easy to edit the path and get the install to work.

I'm enjoying Cobra so far. My only real issue is that you've chosen to limit the indention to a particular size, rather than leaving it flexible as Python does. Sometimes I like to use 3 spaces, or 2 spaces, or even change what indention I use from section to section. It is odd to have it dictated to me by the syntax.

Anyway, impressive work! I'm off to learn some more.

Take care,

Caligari
Caligari

Postby Charles » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Caligari wrote:I'm sure you realize that the destination directory is hard-coded into InstallFromWorkspace.cobra, but I thought it worth reminding you about it. I don't have a C: (long story). It was, of course, pretty easy to edit the path and get the install to work.

I'll accept a patch. I'm trying to save my efforts for more intense things like language features and compiler fixes that fewer people can work on.
Caligari wrote:I'm enjoying Cobra so far. My only real issue is that you've chosen to limit the indention to a particular size, rather than leaving it flexible as Python does. Sometimes I like to use 3 spaces, or 2 spaces, or even change what indention I use from section to section. It is odd to have it dictated to me by the syntax.

This a feature best enjoyed after passing code back and forth with other developers, inheriting code from other projects, etc. There are other rules in this area. For example, you must capitalize types that you declare. Arguments and locals must start with lowercase letters.

Of course, people notice the rules that conflict with their coding style and point those out as the odd rules. What gets pointed out varies person to person.

Caligari wrote:Anyway, impressive work! I'm off to learn some more.

Take care,

Caligari

Thanks. Glad you are enjoying it overall.
Charles

Postby Caligari » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:44 pm

Chuck wrote:
Caligari wrote:I'm enjoying Cobra so far. My only real issue is that you've chosen to limit the indention to a particular size, rather than leaving it flexible as Python does. Sometimes I like to use 3 spaces, or 2 spaces, or even change what indention I use from section to section. It is odd to have it dictated to me by the syntax.

This a feature best enjoyed after passing code back and forth with other developers, inheriting code from other projects, etc. There are other rules in this area. For example, you must capitalize types that you declare. Arguments and locals must start with lowercase letters.

Oh, I don't dispute that you are right that consistency helps immeasurably in getting everyone on the same page. I guess I feel that most of these things are in the realm of programming guidelines, or style recommendations, and enshrining them in the language syntax feels inappropriate.

That said, by and large I use a similar set of conventions, so it hasn't directly slowed me down. Its more of a sense that the philosophy is misdirected. :)

Just to revisit my earlier positive comments - I am indeed enjoying Cobra. And as a way to toy with .NET stuff it has been quite painless, overall. Impressive work!

Take care,

Caligari
Caligari

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:58 am

Chuck wrote:Thanks. I need to know if you get the error during compilation or running. Please enter these commands inside the Source\ directory:
InstallFromWorkspace.exe

Note the "-c" on the first line. Do you get the module/HRESULT error on the first line when compiling or on the second line when running?

Thanks.

Any news on this?
Charles

Postby jonathandavid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:18 pm

I just tried this at my home computer and it works fine. I'll try it tomorrow at my office computer (where it failed as I reported above) with the command line options you suggest. I don't know why it fails in one computer and works in the other. The only significant difference I see is that at home (where it works) I don't have MS VSC++/C# 2008 installed. I will install them tomorrow to see if that's causing the problem.
jonathandavid

Postby jonathandavid » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:04 am

Chuck wrote:
Chuck wrote:Thanks. I need to know if you get the error during compilation or running. Please enter these commands inside the Source\ directory:
InstallFromWorkspace.exe

Thanks.

Any news on this?

I get the error on the first line.
jonathandavid

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion