Forums

Request For Help: cobra2html via Pygments

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Re: Request For Help: cobra2html via Pygments

Postby Charles » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:38 pm

Thanks for the information about Pygments. You seem to indicate that "literal" is a choice. Perhaps true/false/nil could be literals.

I agree that a warning would be appropriate for thousands separators that are incorrect.
Charles

Postby themaniac » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:38 pm

Literal isn't really appropriate (the only use of Literal I can see is Literal.Date). However, if you look at true/false as a special case of Number (which already has Number.Integer, Number.Hex and so on), then I'll go with my first idea and use Number.Boolean (so by default true/false will look the same as numbers).
themaniac

Postby gourD » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:54 am

Charles wrote:Thanks for the information about Pygments. You seem to indicate that "literal" is a choice. Perhaps true/false/nil could be literals.

It seems that themaniac is no longer around, this thread is >5yrs old, Pygments does not lists Cobra as supported langauge, so I wonder what is the status of Cobra support in Pygments 'cause "having Pygments is still needed because it drives other applications besides Trac" :?:

Edit: I'm interested to have suport for Cobra in Pygments upstream.
gourD

Postby Charles » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:29 pm

pygments is used by trac here on this web site, so it definitely works.

Our wiki page is at PygmentsHighlighter.

If you want to lobby the Pygments project to include Cobra in their default list of supported languages, feel free.

If you have other specific questions or issues, let us know.
Charles

Postby gourD » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Charles wrote:pygments is used by trac here on this web site, so it definitely works.

But there is possible usage of it outside of Trac, right?

If you want to lobby the Pygments project to include Cobra in their default list of supported languages, feel free.

Have you tried to contact upstream to include it?

I doubt they would have something against seeing that support for obcure languages like Nimrod & Boo is there.

If you have other specific questions or issues, let us know.

Not at the moment. Thank you.
gourD

Postby Charles » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:46 pm

gourD wrote:
Charles wrote:pygments is used by trac here on this web site, so it definitely works.

But there is possible usage of it outside of Trac, right?

Definitely.

gourD wrote:

Have you tried to contact upstream to include it?

I have not.

There are tasks that are somewhat unique to me, such as improving the compiler. Let's say "rare" rather than "unique"--hopscc works on the compiler on a regular basis.

Then there are numerous "satellite" tasks and projects around any language:
* editor support
* IDE support
* Pygments support
* libraries
* binary package installers
* etc.

These need to come from people like you. If you think that the Pygments project should support Cobra out of the box then go after it.

If you don't go after it then it probably wasn't that important to you.
Charles

Postby nerdzero » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Charles wrote:These need to come from people like you. If you think that the Pygments project should support Cobra out of the box then go after it.

gourD, that would be awesome if you could make this happen. It would eventually trickle into GitHub then and all the other things that use Pygments.
nerdzero

Postby gourD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:27 am

nerdzero wrote:gourD, that would be awesome if you could make this happen. It would eventually trickle into GitHub then and all the other things that use Pygments.

Thank you for encouragement, nerdzero. :D Other posters are not so enthusiastic about my proposals...

I did write to Pygments maintainer (waiting for reply) and trying to contact him in IRC...so, when I receive some reply, I'll inform you here about it, but I'm not sure I'm going to propose anything to Cobra community any longer...no wonder that out of 6884 users registered forum users, there are dozen or so users only. :roll:

One problem with latest version of Pygment support file is that it does not merge cleanly with current upsteram's version, although probably not to difficult to resolve either. ;)
gourD

Postby nerdzero » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:28 pm

gourD wrote:...but I'm not sure I'm going to propose anything to Cobra community any longer...

Like the song says: "You can't always get what you want" :) Not every suggestion can be done by Charles, so be sure not to take it personally. I think Cobra is really great but needs some help when it comes to tooling from the supporting cast (you, me, and others) to reach more devs. Just takes a little elbow grease...okay a LOT of elbow grease sometimes :D
nerdzero

Postby gourD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 pm

First things first...I haven't received any reply from Pygments' maintainer Georg Brandl according to this info, so try, as I'm told in #pygments, will pull request here.

nerdzero wrote:Like the song says: "You can't always get what you want" :) Not every suggestion can be done by Charles, so be sure not to take it personally.

The things which I proposed (non-wiki docs as primary one, mailing list, dvcs...) is something which I almost take for granted when looking at some FOSS project today.

I have shown several examples of different programming languages and how they handle their docs which is, imho, superior to Cobra's.

However, if the main devs/contributors say that they do see "no obvious immediate benefit", I consider it's waste of time trying to prove otherwise.

Obviously, it works for few of you. :lol:

I understand Charles cannot do every suggestion, although in this case I was not expected from him to do it. Otoh, his plans are "to continue with trac and the wiki in the short term. Longer term, I would like to replace both trac and phpBB with Cobra-based software."

So when the project with practically bus-factor of 1 and only few contributors and dozen users, after being open-source project for more than 5yrs, is even considering to write trac/forum software, then something is seriously wrong, imho.

Of course, it's his project and he can do whatever he likes, but to me it looks he likes Haskell's mantra of: "avoid success at all costs". :lol:

Still, I'm thankful to him for convincing me that Mono could be viable platform for me. :idea:
I think Cobra is really great but needs some help when it comes to tooling from the supporting cast (you, me, and others) to reach more devs.

Language-wise, I also consider Cobra is really nice language, but my friendly advise is to read this book ;)

However, Cobra has brought me to .NET/Mono platform where I have found languages with mature communities and developed ecosystem (plenty of nicely organized docs, textbooks, using DVCS, mailing lists, IDE/editor support etc.), so I do not want to waste time where people consider that writing docs in Trac's edit box online is great. :roll:

Wishing you all the best in the attempt to add support to Pygments and thank you for your support. ;)
gourD

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion