Forums

IDE support sucks

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Re: IDE support sucks

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am

See Node.cobra's SourceException. The error with the comma was probably a catch by the back-end C# compilation.

Anyway, you can just add those two cases, using http://regexhero.net/tester/ to test the regex. Or if you want, I can send you another patch.
Charles

Postby nerdzero » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 am

I'm sure you have bigger fish to fry. I'll add the additional cases tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the patch.

I've also found that MonoDevelop 3.0 is using the https://github.com/icsharpcode/NRefactory library which I believe is also used by SharpDevelop for code completion and refactoring. 3.0 sounds pretty nice. I think after applying the error parsing patch and some other tweaks, I'll create a branch of the addin for MonoDevelop 3.0.
nerdzero

Postby nerdzero » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Patch applied and repo updated. Error and warnings highlight the appropriate lines.

Also, working directory is set to "/" on non-Windows systems before starting the compiler process. I can't test this on Mac but it didn't seem to break anything for me on Ubuntu.
Attachments
error_highlighting.png
error_highlighting.png (108.54 KiB) Viewed 21793 times
nerdzero

Postby nerdzero » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Bah, spoke a little too soon. Was working with a previous build. I get this message with the working directory set to "/": Error: error: COBRA INTERNAL ERROR / UnauthorizedAccessException / Access to the path "//MainWrapper.cobra.cs" is denied. (ConsoleTest1)

I'll revert that change until I figure it out.
nerdzero

Postby jaegs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm actually not less confident that the "/" is the problem.
So when I first tried the addin, on build I got the following compiler output
Code: Select all
Building: HelloWorld (Release|x86)

Building Solution HelloWorld

Building: HelloWorld (Release|x86)

Performing main compilation...

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Build successful.
Build failed. ApplicationName='cobra', CommandLine='-compile -debug:full -target:exe -out:"/Users/test/Documents/Cobra/HelloWorld2/HelloWorld2/bin/Release/HelloWorld2.exe" "/Users/test/Documents/Cobra/HelloWorld2/HelloWorld2/MyProgram.cobra"', CurrentDirectory=''

I added in the Current Directory slash, updated the addin .dll and the error went away. Then the error came back. Clearly something finicky is happening.
jaegs

Postby nerdzero » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:06 pm

This is strange. If I'm following you correctly (bear with me)...

1) You opened the MonoDevelop.CobraBinding solution and built the addin successfully

2) You moved the generated DLL to the correct folder

3) Restarted MonoDevelop

4) Created a Cobra project. It failed to compile.

5) You switched back to the C# solution and rebuilt the addin after adding proc.StartInfo.WorkingDirectory = "/" to the compile method.

6) You moved the newly generated DLL to the correct folder

7) Restarted MonoDevelop

8) Created a Cobra project. It compiled.

9) ???

10) Cobra projects no longer compile.

Is this correct?
nerdzero

Postby jaegs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:31 pm

That's a good summary, lol. Obviously there is something missing in my description or it would make more sense.

Also, on step 9, I ran a Hello World.

I tried running the compiler string directly in Terminal
Code: Select all
test$ cobra -compile -debug:full -target:exe -out:"/Users/test/Documents/Cobra/HW/HW/bin/Debug/HW.exe" "/Users/test/Documents/Cobra/HW/HW/MyProgram.cobra"
Compilation succeeded
jaegs

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:43 pm

The Cobra compiler might generate any kind of .cs file for its purposes, including the MainWrapper.cobra.cs you mentioned. So the working directory needs to be one where you have write access. Presumably, the best choice is the project solution's directory.
Charles

Postby nerdzero » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Gosh, I actually forgot that Cobra generates cs files even with that error message smacking me right in the face. I feel dumb. Yeah, either the solution directory or the output directory makes sense then. I'll give it a shot.
nerdzero

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:53 pm

No problem. With multiple people working on this, it's progressing quickly. Gauthier has agreed to dust off the Cobra CodeDom, so that's another parallel effort in place.

If we keep the momentum, we'll be sitting pretty.
Charles

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion