Forums

Thank you for intelligent error messages

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Thank you for intelligent error messages

Postby ObtuseAngle » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Just wanted to say a heartfelt thank you for having such useful error messages in Cobra.

I was translating some Python code across to Cobra, becoming weary and caffeine deficient, and having the compiler tell me to use else if instead of elif was a small moment of unalloyed pleasure.
99 programming bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix 1 bug and compile it again, 101 programming bugs in the code
ObtuseAngle

Re: Thank you for intelligent error messages

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 pm

You're welcome! Uninformative error messages have been a pet peeve of mine for a long time, so I wanted to take Cobra in the opposite direction.

If you run across situations where it could have provided more helpful messages, and I'm sure there are many more, please share here on the forums.
Charles

Re: Thank you for intelligent error messages

Postby ObtuseAngle » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:41 pm

I also particularly like the if you meant "does not equal" then use "<>" for instances of !=
Pair programming with the Cobra compiler :D

The only one where I've blinked: error: Expecting EOL, but got "INDENT" instead., but it is obvious after looking at the code for a second (I'm habituated to the Python style of putting a colon after an if statement, but I'm slowly unlearning that).
99 programming bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix 1 bug and compile it again, 101 programming bugs in the code
ObtuseAngle

Return to Discussion