Forums

Installing the latest revision using svn

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Installing the latest revision using svn

Postby DelphiGuy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:11 pm

in a nutshell, how do i confirm that i successfully installed the latest revision via svn, please?

cobra -version merely returns:

Code: Select all
Cobra 0.9.4 on .NET CLR v4.0.30319 on Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

i guess i was (unreasonably?) expecting a revision number to be in that string, as well.

thanks.
Last edited by DelphiGuy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
DelphiGuy

Re: Installing the latest revision using svn

Postby nerdzero » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:06 pm

It should have the svn version number in there like this:

Cobra svn:3047 (post 0.9.4) / 2013-10-12 on .NET CLR v4.0.30319 on Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
nerdzero

Postby Charles » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:46 pm

And -about shows the path like so:
$  cobra -about

The Cobra Programming Language svn:3047 (post 0.9.4) / 2013-10-26
on Mono 3.2.3 CLR v4.0.30319 on Mac OS X 10.8.4
at /path/to/cobra.exe
Charles

Postby DelphiGuy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:45 am

ok, that was useful info. obviously, i have failed to install the latest revision via svn. in fact, i guess i've failed to even remember which folder was my cobra workspace. well, here's the feedback i'm getting:

1) as i feebly try to remember my workspace folder, and stab about in the dark, "svn up" run from every folder i can think of returns:

Skipped '.'
Summary of conflicts:
  Skipped paths: 1

2) as shown previously, "cobra -version" is unsurprisingly still giving me:

Cobra 0.9.4 on .NET CLR v4.0.30319 on Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

3) and "cobra -about" is returning:

The Cobra Programming Language 0.9.4
on .NET CLR v4.0.30319 on Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
at C:\Cobra\Cobra-0.9.4\bin\cobra.exe

so how, please, do i locate my workspace so that all behaves?
DelphiGuy

Postby nerdzero » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:26 am

It sounds like you have a workspace setup but maybe just forgot to run the installer?

You could always create a new workspace though: http://cobra-language.com/trac/cobra/wi ... FromSource

> svn co http://cobra-language.com/svn/cobra/trunk/ cobra-workspace
> cd cobra-workspace/Source
> bin\install-from-workspace

Remember to install as admin.
nerdzero

Postby Charles » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:27 am

I think that's a general question: If you created a subversion workspace somewhere, how do you find it later?

First of all, you may not need too. Unless you were running a modified Cobra, you can just check out a new workspace and install that. Also, doing so might stimulate you to remember where you put the first one.

Your other choice is to search your drives for one of the more unique names in the workspace, like BinaryOpExpr.cobra.
Charles

Postby DelphiGuy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:19 am

to both charles and nerdzero:

1) yes, i think it qualifies as a general question. thanks for the answer.
2) if the result i posted of running "cobra -about" is supposed to be the path to the workspace, it isn't. neither BinaryOpExpr.cobra is there, nor does "svn up" seem happier than before.
3) no, while i'm entirely capable of forgetting to run the installer, it so happens i remembered.
4) a hard drive search showed that BinaryOpExpr.cobra was in an entirely different folder, not related to the path shown in the "-about" result. and "svn up" wasn't happy being run from that folder, either.
5) i finally threw my hands up, and decided that i must have damaged/deleted required folders and files long ago, and then forgotten or not realized it. so i started from square one. i deleted all folders and files in "c:\cobra" and tried to run the install instructions from there. all went well, until it came time to run the installer, and then i got an error saying that i'd have to do all this over, and this time not from c:\cobra. so i created folder c:\cobra\temp, and started again from there. but got the same error again. so at this point i surmised that the error meant to say "don't use c:\cobra or any sub-folder of c:\cobra". i then created c:\temp and ran the entire install procedure from there and all went well.
6) we are happy now. thank you both.
DelphiGuy

Postby Charles » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:37 pm

The path that Cobra displays is the path where it is residing. For an installed Cobra that means the path that it was installed to not where it came from.
Charles

Postby DelphiGuy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:59 pm

makes perfect sense. thanks for clarifying. i was only a little thrown by nerdzero saying "sounds like you have a workspace setup", which made me wonder if it was the path that got his attention, and if therefore it was somehow related to the workspace.
DelphiGuy

Return to Discussion