Forums

Still alive?

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Still alive?

Postby Benve » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if this project is still alive? There has not been a release since 2013 and that was 0.9.6.
New here and I've noticed a few comments spaced out over the last year but no new announcements etc.

Thanks
Ben
Benve

Re: Still alive?

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Cobra still works and the .NET/Mono ecosystem it sits on is still active (Cobra gets 99% of its libraries from there). But I haven't actively worked on Cobra in awhile. I worked on it nights and weekends for several years and eventually burned out on doing that.

I would love to get sponsored to work on it full time in place of contracting (which is how I earn my living), but I'm skeptical that will happen.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Charles

Postby Benve » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:42 am

You have done a lot of work and yes I fully understand the burnout from this kind of project.
I agree sponsorship may not be so likely unless you can build a community following. Perhaps putting this on GitHub may (or not) help that.
I'm not familiar with Cobra yet (am currently mostly programming in Python and looking for good - higher performance alternatives - especially in terms of multithreading for socket servers etc, but also still would like the python like syntax as I find it much faster to code and clearer to read and Cobra and Nim fit that category). I find C# to be much slower to code than Python and though a good language still not as good as python to read / develop with.

So for Cobra to take off it needs something that many people are looking for that will make their coding lives easier. I believe it has the start of that due to the syntax (though I would have thought simple things like if elif else would be better than just chaining if statements). That being said there needs to be clear advantage for others to learn this syntax/language that makes it better than C#. Integration with Xamarin is a definite plus and having the .NET framework / CLR underneath means no need to cross compile (as with Nim) but also means that the framework must first be installed (so pros and cons both ways here).

You of course know all this, and I'm not a marketer but fundamentally a community needs to be built and for that others have to see benefit and also feel that they can actually contribute to it's development. Unfortunately I do not have the time to support such effort (I'd love to - but already too busy - hence why looking for existing product). Sorry I'm not help. Think you have done a great job. I'll download and see if it meets my needs at this stage and go from there.
Benve

Postby nexialist » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 pm

hi charles, i really like this language. this is the language i have been looking for. I studied so many languages but I believe Cobra has it ALL as it claims. But why does it look like inactive now. iTs really sad that is its status. i am really wondering why it has not continued to grow a community. Something must be done about it!
nexialist

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:25 pm

See my other post made today at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17425
Charles

Postby bazoo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 am

The source code should be uploaded to Github, just sayin...
bazoo

Return to Discussion