Forums

Kayak Web Server

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Kayak Web Server

Postby Charles » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:23 pm

I haven't taken it for a test drive yet, but it looks nice enough:

The Kayak Framework - introductory article

http://kayakhttp.com - home page

There is another "IIS/ASP-alternative" framework, simply called "C# Web Server".
Charles

Re: Kayak Web Server

Postby Charles » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Btw if you try it out, feel free to report any experiences in this thread.

Also, I stubbed out a wiki page for it at wiki:KayakWebServer which is added to the list at wiki:WebDevelopment.
Charles

Postby torial » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Cool. This reminds me of cherrypy at some level. I'll keep Kayak on my radar...
torial

Postby Charles » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:22 pm

I'd love to run a Cobra-based web app in place of phpBB and Trac some day, so feel free to have at it. :-D
Charles

Postby torial » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Sorry to revive a minor thread -- but I'd say this project is probably a dead one.

* I tried playing with it today but the interface is vastly different from the one in the tutorial, and the example provided at GitHub is very cryptic.
* The author, about 2 years back, was requesting a maintainer transition. And the google group threads haven't really be alive since then.
torial

Postby Charles » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:21 pm

I presume you mean Kayak, the subject of this thread. However, the C# WebServer may still be viable. Granted, the last release was in 2010, though the list of features seem sufficient and the last meaningful checkin is more recent at Jan 2012.

In any case, you could explore porting either to Cobra.
Charles

Postby torial » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Charles wrote:I presume you mean Kayak, the subject of this thread. However, the C# WebServer may still be viable. Granted, the last release was in 2010, though the list of features seem sufficient and the last meaningful checkin is more recent at Jan 2012.

In any case, you could explore porting either to Cobra.

I was referring to the Kayak server as I was hoping the Cherrypy-like interface could be used. I've started porting some basic web server examples (using HTTPListener) to Cobra, and am setting up a basic handler/routing mechanism. All just prototyping right now, but will plan to server simple sites, as well as web methods (for JSON/Ajax calls), and maybe explore making a templating language that compiles to cobra code (sort of like Mako templates compile to Python code). That all assumes time permits, but this seems a smaller endeavor than a IDE :oops:
torial

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Sounds good.

I think the best type of help for IDEs right now is to use what nerdzero has been creating for MonoDevelop and send in feedback (really, opening github issues).

http://cobra-language.com/trac/cobra/wiki/MonoDevelop

This is not incompatible with working on various Cobra libs, servers, etc.
Charles

Return to Discussion