Forums

Numeric for loop

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Numeric for loop

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:44 am

In development, I added the new "for" loop syntax for the numeric for loop. The old syntax will still be supported for one year, but its use of .. ++ and -- didn't match anything else in the language. The new syntax uses the same "for x in" as an "enumerable for loop" and the rest of the statement matches slicing (list[start:stop:step]):
# forms:
for x in start : stop : step
print x
for x in start : stop # step of 1 is assumed
print x
for x in stop # start of 0 is assumed
print x

# examples:
list = ['qwerty', 'dvorak']
for i in list.count
list[ i] = list[ i].toUpper
for i in 0 : 100 : 2
print i

The integers generated match the indexes of a list (or array), whether the entire thing or a slice.

Unlike the old numeric for loop, the parameters to the loop are evaluated only once. In other words, the "stop" and the "step" are not re-evaluated each iteration of the loop. I think this is more clear and can also be more efficient. It's also more like using a range() function or enumerator.

If you need to re-evaluate the boundary and/or step each time, use the general purpose "while" loop.
Charles

Re: Numeric for loop

Postby Mirco » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 am

I think here is a little bug:
for x in 10 : 2  # Should do nothing, but prints 10, 11, 12
print x
if x == 12
break

for x in 10 : 0 : 2 # Should do nothing, but prints 10, 12
print x
if x == 12
break
Mirco

Re: Numeric for loop

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks for the report. Fixed.

The code for determining the direction was based on comparing the stop and start instead of looking at the step. It's as if I were thinking in the back of my head that "for x in 10 : 2" should give [10, 9, ..., 4, 3] if the step were left out. That doesn't seem unreasonable, but it could be surprising for "for x in i : j" which could then go backwards or forwards depending on the values of i and j.
Charles

Return to Discussion