Forums

Spread the word

General discussion about Cobra. Releases and general news will also be posted here.
Feel free to ask questions or just say "Hello".

Spread the word

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:24 am

Please share the news that Cobra 0.9 has been released by whatever appropriate means you can think of. I have covered the basics like updating the wikipedia page, the Facebook group, freecode.com, etc.
Charles

Re: Spread the word

Postby DelphiGuy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:35 am

may i humbly suggest posting something about the new release in "release announcements only", so that casual visitors to this site will no longer have any misleading ancient dates showing in that category?
DelphiGuy

Postby jaegs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 am

My favorite website: Hacker News
jaegs

Postby jaegs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:06 am

Looks like the site is a little slow...
jaegs

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 am

@DelphiGuy, will do. Note that it is mentioned on the front page and the news page and the forums (well and even the wiki) so hopefully no one got too confused.

@jaegs, Yeah, the site has definitely slowed down. I take that as a positive sign. :-D

Someday we have to replace Trac with "CobraTrac". It's the resource hog around here.
Charles

Postby jaegs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 am

This guy has a good point -
Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 1.30.01 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 1.30.01 PM.png (47.18 KiB) Viewed 19515 times
jaegs

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 am

You mean about the site being too slow?

I investigated and what happened is that we got slammed by multiple bots (google, bing, baidu and more!) which discovered trac and proceeded to download every revision of every source file, like this:

"GET /trac/cobra/log/cobra/trunk/Tests/110-basics-two/500-namespaces/206-use.cobra?rev=1895 HTTP/1.1"

Ug! Combined with the fact that trac is very slow, this took its toll. I also find it kind of strange given that these same bots, or at least the google one, won't index the forums.

Anyway I have added a robots.txt file:
Code: Select all
User-agent: *
Disallow: /trac/cobra/changeset
Disallow: /trac/cobra/browser
Disallow: /trac/cobra/log

Hopefully we'll see things get better over the next 24 hours. If that's not enough, I'll do another round of analysis and tweaking.
Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:33 am

Looks like the problem was also some Apache config which I just tweaked and now everything is running faster.
Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Yeah and we'll see if the comments go any better. Last time Cobra was on reddit, it was pretty ridiculous.

But I do thank you for putting it up there. We need to get the word out.
Charles

Next

Return to Discussion